Friday, September 21...Autumn has arrived

I said I would not post again until we were on the road, but I changed my mind. Two things caused that.

 

First, one of the last things I do before leaving is to pull together the Planning Book for the trip. I just completed that, so I know the departure is near. I have only six items left to check on my To-Do list.

 

Second, when I became confident yesterday (Thursday) that I would be ready and rested by Saturday, I called the first target camp and, as I feared for these early fall weekends, its 25 sites were completely booked, “for weeks,”  I was told. But just as I was speaking with the very polite rep (Charlene, I believe), someone called in and cancelled for Saturday, and so I locked in that site. My good luck returns. Let’s just hope it continues. So, unless I want to lose the hard-earned $21 I paid for the site, I will be ready.  Donner has been for two weeks. The camp, Coopers Rock State Forest, near Morgantown, West Virginia, is about 190 miles from DC, a nice distance for the first day since loading he Defender will take me about three hours.  It’ll take me five days to get into the stride of the trip after that.

 

 

See you tomorrow, on the road.

 

ED and Donner