Stainless steel bar for securing gas can - another problem solved

Another chore out of the way today…

 

I have an extra gas can compartment on the top of my roof rack.  To prevent the can from flying out over rough roads, or some crook from helping himself to the can, full or not, there is a 9" metal bar securing the can to the compartment.  Well, it seems that someone in my condo helped themselves to that before my last trip.  I say that because the bar itself was secured with a lynch pin, which that provides security in itself, but can be farther secured with a lock. I discovered it was missing just before OTR8 in 2016, about the same time that someone from my condo loosened four the five lug nuts on my rear right tire, which I discovered 1000 miles into the trip just before the wheel almost came off.  There are two suspects in the condo who would have done this, one of whom moved out about that time (his going away gift to me), the other of whom is known for this kind of mischief.  She also glued the locked to my storage locker in my parking space when I was away on OTR8.  The good news is that she was sued by our condo's managing agent for libel and slander and lost the case and her job in the process. A little schadenfreude never heart anyone. 😊

 

So I don't forget, below  is the web site I found where I was able to get a new bar for my mechanic will fit it to the rack.  Below it is the web site for the lynch pins.

 

There are hundreds of chores like this I have to go through in preparing for those trips.  Each one takes time (this one, probably four hours).  But they have to be done as there are enough problems that occur on the trip that need attention. These pre-trip postings are made for my own purposes, as a reminder to those who read my blogs that these trips ate not just a matter of packing, tossing the dogs in the car, and moving out/

 

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

 

 

 

http://www.navfastener.com/lynchpin.html