Day 43, Saturday, November 3, Goodland Kansas, 8406 miles traveled, 1461 to go

My decision to spend the night and a rustic campers cabin at Glenwood Canyon resort was probably the better decision. While it would have been adventurous to have spent the night tenting on the edge of the Colorado River, across from a single track railroad line, with the rain pelting the tent during the night, in retrospect, it was a wise decision. I saved two hours in not having to set up and break camp, and so got on the road earlier this morning.

If I had notjust come from the fantastic settings where I spent the last 42 days, the drive from Glenwood Canyon to Denver would have been extraordinary. Interstate 70 weaves in an out of the Rockies, canyons, rivers, on what has to be one of the prettiest drives in the country. But also, one of the most treacherous drive. Just as we were leaving Glenwood Canyon, I the light rain changed to a light snow. As we drove out to Denver cover 138 miles away, the snow intensified. By about Mile 30, it was getting serious. For one long stretch, it was almost blizzard-like conditions. Welcome to I-70 at this time of year here. As soon as I had the opportunity, i pulled the Defender off at an exit, locked the differentials and put the vehicle in lo gear, and the road, with Its twists and turns, I ascents and decents, was a lot easier to take.

I stopped off in Denver for a couple of hours to visit a college and grad school class, Bob Kolesik, and his wife Dorothy. At one time, I figured out that on trips like this I come within 250 miles of probably 85% of the population of the United States, so it really isn't going out of my way to visit old friends.

I got on the road to Goodland Kansas at 3:30. Originally, I had planned to stay at the Goodland KOA, but it closed on October 31. If I cannot find another campground near there, or depending upon the weather, I will probably stay at a Motel 6 which is right off the highway. The adventurous part of this trip has ended, at least the part that I can control.

The drive from Denver to Goodland Kansas is a pretty straight shot. So, I did not mind driving half of it in the dark. When we arrived at 7:30, there were no other campgrounds that I could see, so I checked into a Motel 6 for the first time. While the accommodations are modest, it more than served my purpose. The good news is that I don't have to call around and ask Motel 6 if they take pets because they always do. Needless to say, Donner made himself right at home on the nice big dog bed they provided in the room for him. In fact, it was the only bed, and Donnertreated it like it is alone.


It saddens me to think that this trip is coming to an end. However, I think it's time to put the tent away, make my way home, and reflect on how I should change my life as a result of this experience over the last 44 days. I think it's changed already.

By the way, this leg of the trip is the worst part of all my trips, traveling from Denver to home. Not only am I inclined to make haste to get home, but the scenery is far less interesting than everything I've experienced up until now. And I will encounter more cities over the next four days than I have on the entire previous 43 days. Many of the camps are closed. And the weather usually is worse than in the rest of the country. However, I have no choice but to move on, and I will tent where I can, but seek bivouac in refuge in cozier, more convenient places if that is consistent with my goal of getting us home safely and quickly.

Ed and Donner from Kansas