Day 39, Tuesday, October 30, Grand Canyon, 7481 miles so far, 2200 to home

I am drafting this posting with the sweeping view of the Grand Canyon to my right, and, more importantly, Donner to my right also.

Last night's sleep got off to a bad start with some neighbors from Germany in the next campsite partying until almost 11 o'clock. Instead of turning them in for a citation, I discussed it with them this morning and they understood. Hopefully, they will cooperate tonight because I have a long drive tomorrow and I need to get decent sleep.

But they were not as disturbing as another neighbor who was troubled by my headlamp on low beam occasionally flashing in the direction on his tent at 8:30 in the dark as i ate my dinner. He emerged from his tent and shined his own headlamp on high beam directly at me as I ate my dinner at my campsite. I cooperating and move to the other side of the table. This morning when he pulled out I noticed that he was also driving a Defender. So much for cooperative among Defender owners.

Those were triflings compared to the majesty of the Grand Canyon we experienced today. Well, let's say that I experienced while Donner experienced all the new strange smells that border the rim of the canyon. We probably visited 10 different viewpoints and each one presented a unique majestic view of that fantastic natural wonder. I simply do not have the vocabulary to be able to describe what this is all about, so I will leave that to the experts, including some of yourselves.

Our experience here was limited by the fact that dogs are not allowed on anything but the drivable view points and the Rim Trail. So, since I never leave Donner, I limited myself to those places were dogs were permitted. Frankly, it was enough for me. You can probably overdose on scenic views by doing more than what we experienced here ourshelves. The only thing more that there was to do for me was to hike down the trail to the bottom of the canyon, but I had no interest in doing that. But at least it is satisfying for me to know that trails are there for those people want to take it down to the Colorado River, then take it back up.

We are heading back to the campsite now at 4 o'clock and I hope to make a fire tonight, the first one since Yellowstone.I will use the Acacian to reflect on all the journeys I had taken with my dogs, including the nine journeys that make up the 0ntheRoad.camp series.

Donner is recovering nicely. His spirit is improving by the minute. However I'm not going to take any chances and will limit my camping on the way home to those campsites that are convenient, and offer good weather.

The trip home, which officially begins tomorrow, will probably take seven days, 2200 miles at 350 miles a day on average.

While this trip is far from over, officially, everything I wanted to accomplish I have accomplished. The number one goal, to get myself and Donner and the Defender back home safely, so far looks like as been accomplished. It was a good journey.

I hope to stay at a lodge in West Virginia the last two days of the journey to write a summary of the trip, which I will publish on the blog. If I wait till I get home it will never get done. And, of course, I will post Donner's portrait on the blog, as I indicated earlier.

Today was an especially good day because it was the third anniversary of my rescuing Donner, as I wrote earlier. What a joy he has been on this trip. What a joy he has been with me for the last three years.

Ed and Donner, from the majestic Grand Canyon.