D 37, Sunday, October 28, grand canyon mather campground site 304 (Ed), canyon that hospital (Diner)

Boy, was it Lonely in the tent last night. It is a totally different situation without my Donner, in the tent and campsite, In the defender, and also when I go out for walks. I keep expecting him to be there, but he is not.

First thing I did this morning was move from site 301 to site 304. My neighbor, richard, help me pick up the tent and walking across the road, instead of my having to take it down and then reassemble it, attest that would've taken over the hour. Actually, I like the new site better. I got it for three days and I suspect I'm going to have to use it for three days.

Without giving it much thought, I changed my plans for today. There is no way that I could enjoy visiting the different Canyon viewpoints here without Donner. So, I decided to travel to Flagstaff to visit with him for an hour. The round trip takes about four hours in total, not counting stops along the way. The vet hospital called and told me that Donner was responding to treatment quite well, but it was unclear when he would be able to go home, Monday or Tuesday. When I say home, of course, I mean back with me.

Before leaving for the hospital, I loaded everything into the Defender excepted the tent. If in fact something happens and I need to stay somewhere else, at least I will have everything with me. For some reason if I never get back here, I only lose the tent, although I can probably get that back if they confiscate it if I overextend my stay. I have a spare tent, so I could set up camp somewhere else, although I suspect there are not many campgrounds in Flagstaff itself, so if I had to stay there I would probably stay in a motel 6 or something like that.

I drove to the hospital by way of scenic Route 89 instead of viathat terrible Highway 64. Not only does it run on the interstate for 30 miles, 64 is as boring for almost the entire drive as 89 is pleasant the entire run.

I arrived at the hospital at about 1 PM and stayed with Donner for over an hour. He was clearly looking better than when I dropped him off yesterday, and he was also happy to see me, I think. For all I know, his infirmity aside, he could be very well be enjoying his respite in the hospital from the rigors of camping on the road. After I left, I was thrilled that I made the decision to come visit him, as I will tomorrow, and as long as he is in the hospital.

After visiting Donner I visited the local Walmart supercenter and bought some supplies for heading home. I also picked up a new flashlight for about $13 which, as it turns out, is just as fine as the Surefire that I misplaced somewhere. Why spend $175 for a 750 lm light when you can get a 400 lm one $13. Tomorrow I will probably return there and buy another just to have it as a back up.

I returned back to camp at about 430 and after going through a few chores drove over to the visitor center to watch the sunset again. Actually, what I really wanted to do was to take a walk through there myself and take some photographs so that the next time I go I will have all the photographs I need and will let Donner have free run of all of the wonderful smells that he is wont to find,

Tomorrow, before visiting Donner I will make a final supply run for the return home, which still needs to be planned. I will also pick up a birthday gift, actually, rescue–day gift for Donner. I'm inclined to him a new dog bed to replace the one that is really getting used on this trip. However, what I think he would prefer is an ear mattress just like mine, so I think that's what I will probably get him.

As an incidental item, my strategy for planning pieces of this trip has worked out extremely well so far. That is, I pick up ideas from people along the way, and those ideas have turned this trip into an absolutely marvelous one, despite the few solvable setbacks on the way.

As another incidental board, I must say that the Defender and I are both taking on a rather, shall I say, shabby appearance. I am in need of a haircut, but I will wait for that until I get home. But the Defender is in need of a good cleaning inside, although that would be kind of futile considering that as soon as it is cleaned it will get dirty again. My guess is I will continue to dabble here in there with cleaning it up as best I can, but wait for the fall detailing on till I get home.

I just learned today that the couple from Austria the Yellowstone are arriving at the north rim of the Grand Canyon today or tomorrow. That sure would be coincidental. I invited them over to share my campsite since there did not appear to be any rules or restrictions on the number of vehicles that can occupy a campsite, but I'll check on it tomorrow.

I have not made any fires here at this Grand Canyon camp because making one alone would surely serve no useful purpose. When Donner returns. however, I will make a fire.

Another lonely night tonight to the tent without my buddy. But hopefully he will be well soon and we will get back on the road again and camp along the route home as much as we can without overdoing it at this point.

Ed, from Grand Canyon after campground, site 304.