Day 6, Thursday, September 27, Union Grove State Park, South Dakota, 1450 miles

We got on the road by 1030.  The drive is getting a little  boring thanks to Apple's failure to sync all my music. It is getting tedious listening to This Land is Your Land 50 times a day. But it gives me some silent time, although riding in the Defender would not exactly pass as quiet time.

The Defender's new starting problem worsened today. Now the engine dies after every start, cold or hot engine. I hope my workaround holds. If not, On The Road-9 will come to an early end.

On the road, with my new more powerful engine, i can keep up with the traffic at 75. Before, 60 was the max. But the design of the soft roof was not meant for this speed, and i had to stop several times to put the right rear side window panel back on after the high wind ripped it from its moorings. I devised a fix, though, which should hold.

I also discovered that one of the two zippers on my back window panels lost some teeth so i cannot close it all the way. This could be problematic in the colder weather. Here we go again.

When i stopped for gas at 5pm with 35 miles to go, i saw a sign for another nearer state park and almost opted to go there. But i plowed on and made Union Grove State Park at 5:30, 30 minutes behind schedule, not bad for a 290 mile drive. I am glad i did because this small camp, set in a pine Grove is terrific. Too dark now to take a photo, so i will send it tomorrow.

It's 11, way past lights for out, and i have a 317 mile drive tomorrow to Badlands National Park, my 7th camp. If i make it, that means that so far i hit all of my pre-Yellowstone camps that i planned to make, all within the still-daylight window of 5 to 6. How is that for good planning and good timing?

Here's hoping the Defender starts tomorrow.

Ed an Donner