Day 5, Wednesday, September 26, Rock Creek State Park, Iowa, 1160 miles so far, zero pages of book read

My otherwise good night's sleep was interrupted only by the chattering of some animals, raccoons or wildcats, i was told by a park attendant.

After a pleasant community breakfast, during which i forfeited my blueberry muffins to my guests, Tiffany and Samara expertly help my break camp. We then took a tour of the camp's attractions, a cave and the sand dunes, although either the park's definition of sand dunes is different than mine or we cut our walk too short.

My and Donner's new friends all said our goodbyes, with hopes to meet up back in DC someday. Samara gave me a homemade thank you card, which i promised to frame and hang on my wall at home.

The Defender starting acting up today. When the engine is cold, it takes 7 turns or to attempts to start it, but now it dies after it starts. The solution is to give it more gas when it starts to die.

I had an easy drive today of about 120 miles. It was fortuitous that i planned it this way since it gave me several more hours with my new good friends.

We arrived at our next planned camp -Rock Creek State Park near Grinnell Iowa- right on time at 5. I drive 7 miles to the nearest town to buy some groceries, but it is difficult to find well-stocked grocery stores on these back roads to the state parks after leaving the interstate. Those convenience stores attached to the gas stations at the interstate exits sell nothing but Junk food, although several sold soft ice cream, much to Donner's delight.

I will send next a photo of our camp site at Rock Creek. A great site, right on the water's edge. There were only two tenters in the camp of about 190 sites, and about 30 RVs. Where have all the tenters gone?