Day 3, Monday, September 24, 800 miles so far, Weldon Springs State Park, Clinton Illinois.

This posting is still unedited.

Thanks to the campfire girls last night, I got up late this morning, at 7 o'clock. It's just as well because it started raining at 7 o'clock. I waited to leave the tent until eight, and by that time the rain had lessened to some extent. I broke camp anyway and got on the road without breakfast by 9:30 AM. Nothing got wet. Yea.
>
> It rained for a good part of the morning. After getting gas just after leaving camp, about 20 miles up the road I realized that I had left the emergency brake on, diminishing its capabilities to some extent. Yesterday, I discovered that one of my cigarette lighters is not working, reducing my charging capabilities. I also discovered during the drive as i searched for one oif my oldies that iTunes did not sync much of my music library through no fault of my own. But Apple was kind enough to offer to sell me the music. Fortunately, the critical music i need to survive is there, and I listen to the same piece in repeat mode over and over again.
>
> Along the way, I decided to bypass Kickapoo State Park Illinois and head straight 69 miles up the road to Weldon Springs state park. What a great decision. This place is an absolute wonderful oasis set amidst the lush corn fields look large enough to feed the world.

> Just before we got to the camp, about 24 miles away, I realized that I had not filled up on gas nor had i yet filled up the jerry can on the roof rack, and I was almost empty. Somehow, the performance of the more powerful engine, and the addition of an extra gallon gas tank, confused my mathematics on when to fill up. As it turns out, I pressed the like next gas button on my Garman and discovered next gas station - the first one i would pass in 50 miles- was three miles ahead of me. Before, a tank of gas gave me 225, but i filled up every 175 or so. Now my capacity is almost 365 miles, so i should stop every 300 or so, give of take a few miles depending upon how much extra gas the 4.6 liter engine consumes. Frankly, once i fill up the jerry can, i should run the vehicle till i run out of gas since it is a snap to fill up from the jerry can which will take me another 75 miles or so.
>
> We pulled in to camp tonight around 5 o'clock, but I immediately drove into Clinton to town to get some fresh fruita and salad and, of course, ice cream for Donner, which he was thrilled over.

> This camp is such a lovely camp I think that if it is raining tomorrow when I am supposed to break camp I will probably stay another day. Donner and I could both us the break after three days of the shakedown for this trip. The long drives are tiring for him, as if they were not for me. I try to stop every 2-3 hours to give him a break and to stretch my legs. I bought one of those beaded seats that you see foreign taxi cab drivers using, which i thought was because they belonged to some cult. As it turns out, the keep the blood circulating through your abductor muscles. And i wondered why my abductor muscles atrophied starting with me first road trip.
>
> For the record, for those who were wondering what i do when i get into camp, here is the daily routine...
>
> – Survey campsite for best organization
> – feed Donner
> – set up the camp
> - make dinner for myself (optional)
> – Close up Defender
- Walk Donnner
> – inside the tent
> – Download Photos
> – write in journal
> – post a blog entry
> - repair and clean stuff
> – miscellaneous, E. G., Emails, news, etc.
> – plan next day
> – reading
> – lights out , Hopefully by 9 PM.
>
> Since it is getting close to 9 PM, I will follow my schedule and sign off here for the night, although i will send this tomorrow since i am too tired to edit it.

> Ed and Donner