Sunday, Aug 26th -

I decided to take the Defender in tomorrow to my mechanic’s to see about the starting problem.  I am not too sure I should set out with the problem the way it is now.  The vehicle starts, either with a number of turns or on the second try. When the engine is warm, it starts that away. It has to have something to do with the amount of fuel in the engine.  I installed a new fuel pump so I know that’s not it.  When I get the vehicle back, I will decided if this is a trip stopper.  If it is, after 24 years, I will retire the Defender.  I cannot afford to wake up every day or when I stop for a rest break wondering if the Defender is going to start.
 
Before I drop the Defender off tomorrow, I will go shopping for the contents of my Daily Food Boxes.  I take along 12 10V6X4 boxes with food in them for one day each, although on my drive days I usually pick up a healthier lunch or dinner (After breakfast, I eat lunch or dinner, and ward off pesky hunger pangs by snacking on the four items marked with an *).  These boxes consist of:
  • Orange juice
  • Oatmeal (2)
  • Raisins (small box)
  • Soy milk
  • Fruit cup
  • VB juice (small container)
  • Soup
  • Instant Brown Rice
  • Salmon
  • Peanut butter cracker*
  • Cliff Bar*
  • Chocolate bar*
  • Nuts*
  • Wine (187ml bottles)
 
I started the laborious process of going through each of my 15 “boxes”  to inventory each item and do what needs to get done to get the box ready to go.  This year my goal is to order everything needed on-line (except the DFBs).  As of now, I am awaiting the arrival of 12 deliveries, with more to come soon.  The “boxes”  are:
 
  1. Console
  2. Electronics
  3. First aid Kit
  4. Shower with dog’s supplies
  5. Donner’s Stuff Box/ Meds
  6. Ed’s stuff Box/Meds
  7. Garage
  8. Map Box
  9. Library
  10. Kitchen
  11. Pantry
  12. Supply Box
  13. Utility Box
  14. Wardrobe
  15. Linen Closet
 
These “boxes” are in addition to all of the equipment that goes along with us, i.e., tents and tarps, vehicle and off-road recovery equipment, sleeping bags and mattresses, etc., each of which I need to check out for servicing or replacement.
 
Each morning I will spend some time planning the first leg of the trip to Yellowstone.  Although the sun is setting earlier each night, I am heading west so I have a little extra time for driving or arriving at the campsites before sunset. I hope to do no more than 300 miles a day so to get to Yellowstone it will take me seven days. By contrast, I averaged 297 miles a day during my first road trip with Sonntag. That may not seem like a lot, but remember, I am driving the Defender and four hours a day are spent setting up and then breaking camp, so 300 is a lot.  I have done 500 miles a day several times, and I do not like it.  On the road, I can only average 50 miles an hour, factoring in rest breaks and traffic jams.
 
Tomorrow I will pull together my To Take and To-do lists, which I really should have done first, but the things I knew I had to do were so much on my mind that I just started to do them. I will post them when I get them so those of you who are curious can see what it takes to plan and prepare for one of these adventures. I admit that I may overdo it, but I believe in the motto, “Be Prepared.”